Posted on May 20th, 2015 in Landscaping, Tips & Tricks | No Comments »
Here are some great tips to get your bed and planting season ready from our Landscape Specialist, Kim Holden:
- Clean beds by removing weeds, leaves, sticks and debris.
- Cut back perennials and grasses and divide as needed.
- Remove dead wood from trees, shrubs and roses.
- Cultivate compacted soil and mulch, apply a pre-emergent herbicide to prevent germination of weeds.
- Edge beds and tree rings.
- Apply 2″ of mulch (never more than 3″) to landscape beds and tree rings. Keep mulch away from the base of woody trees and shrubs.
- Remove winter tree wrap if applicable.
- Have a licensed professional test your irrigation back flow and open your system.
- Fertilize your lawn using organic based fertilizers
- Plan now and make your list of the summer annuals you want. Remember to prepare your beds by tilling in good quality compost.
- Apply a slow released granular fertilizer.
- Now you are ready to go! Plant your annuals and perennials and enjoy your hard work!